1. Journey is an American rock band that formed in San Francisco in 1973, composed of former members of Santana and Frumious Bandersnatch.
2. The band has gone through several phases; its strongest commercial success occurred between 1978 and 1987.
3. Journey enjoyed a successful reunion in the mid-1990s and later regrouped with a series of lead singers.
4. Sales have resulted in two gold albums, eight multi-platinum albums, and one diamond album .
5. The original members of Journey came together in San Francisco in 1973 under the auspices of former Santana manager Herbie Herbert.
6. Originally called the Golden Gate Rhythm Section and intended to serve as a backup group for established Bay Area artists, the band included recent Santana alumni Neal Schon on lead guitar and Gregg Rolie on keyboards and lead vocals.
7. The band quickly abandoned the original “backup group” concept and developed a distinctive jazz fusion style.
8. Prairie Prince rejoined The Tubes shortly thereafter, and the band hired British drummer Aynsley Dunbar, who had recently worked with John Lennon and Frank Zappa.
9. On February 5, 1974, the new line-up made their debut at the Great American Music Hall and secured a recording contract with Columbia Records.
10. Journey released their eponymous first album in 1975, and rhythm guitarist Tickner left the band before they cut their second album, Look into the Future .