1. He first gained notice for his breakout role in the coming-of-age comedy Dazed and Confused .
2. In the 2000s, he became best known for starring in romantic comedies, including The Wedding Planner .
3. McConaughey achieved much success in 2013 for portraying a cowboy diagnosed with AIDS in the biographical film Dallas Buyers Club, which earned him the Academy Award for Best Actor and Golden Globe Award for Best Actor, among other awards and nominations.
4. McConaughey moved to Longview, Texas in 1980, where he attended Longview High School.
5. McConaughey began his acting career in 1991, appearing in television commercials, including one for the Austin, Texas daily newspaper, the Austin American-Statesman, which is credited as his first speaking role.
6. By the early 2000s, he was frequently cast in romantic comedies, including The Wedding Planner and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, both of which were successful at the box office.
7. McConaughey starred in the 2005 feature film Sahara, along with Steve Zahn and Penélope Cruz. In 2006, he co-starred with Sarah Jessica Parker in the romantic comedy Failure to Launch and as Marshall head football coach Jack Lengyal in We Are Marshall.
8. McConaughey also provided voice work in an ad campaign for the Peace Corps in late 2006.
9. McConaughey recognized that “my lifestyle, living on the beach, running with my shirt off, doing romantic comedies” had typecast him into certain roles, and sought other work:
10. In June 2012, McConaughey was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.