1. Born and raised in College Park, Georgia, she began performing as a child and became part of a traveling gospel choir at the age of ten.
2. Guided and developed by record producers Dallas Austin and Tim & Bob, Monica signed with Arista at age thirteen and released her debut album Miss Thang in 1995.
3. She also released her fourth Top 10 hit from the album titled, “Why I Love You So Much”.
4. Pushed by its Grammy Award-winning number-one hit title track, a duet with singer Brandy, it spawned two further Billboard Hot 100 chart-toppers, “The First Night” and “Angel of Mine”, and established her position as one of the most successful of the urban R&B female vocalists to emerge in the mid to late-1990s. The album also featured the Top 10 platinum selling hit “For You I Will”, which originated from the film starring Michael Jordan called Space Jam and its soundtrack.
5. During the production of her third album, All Eyez on Me , Monica experienced personal struggles and her career went under hiatus. In 2003, her fourth album, After the Storm, was released, and after an unsuccessful period, she scored her fifth number one single on the US R&B/Hip Hop, “So Gone”.
6. Her sixth album, Still Standing, which recording was tracked by her BET reality show Monica: Still Standing, was released in 2010 and produced the hit single “Everything to Me”, which became her sixth number one hit on the US R&B/Hip Hop.
7. Monica has sold more than 25 million albums worldwide, including over 10 million units in the United States alone.
8. She is the only daughter of Marilyn Best, a former church singer and Delta Air Lines customer service representative, and M.C.
9. “Billy” Arnold Jr., a mechanic working for an Atlanta freight company.
10. Released in May 1998, surrounding highly publicized rumors about a real-life catfight between both singers, spending record-breaking thirteen weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
11. In 2000, Monica made her film debut in the third drama from MTV Films, Love Song, as Camille Livingston, a young woman torn between the life her parents have planned for her and the world she experiences after meeting a musician from the wrong side of the tracks.