1. She started her career as a child actress in films directed by her father, Stephen Gyllenhaal.
2. In 2002, she was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress for her performance as Lee Holloway in Secretary.
3. In 2006 she was nominated for her second Golden Globe Award for her performance in Sherrybaby.
4. For her performance as Jean Craddock in the musical-drama Crazy Heart , she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
5. In 2014 she made her Broadway debut in a revival of The Real Thing, and also starred in the television mini-series The Honourable Woman.
6. For her performance as Nessa Stein in the latter she has won a Golden Globe Award and received a nomination for an Emmy Award.
7. Gyllenhaal was born in New York City, the daughter of Naomi Achs and Stephen Gyllenhaal.
8. Her father is a film director and writer and her mother is a producer, writer, and director. She has one sibling, actor Jake Gyllenhaal.
9. Her father, who was raised in the Swedenborgian religion, is of Swedish and English ancestry, and is a member of the Swedish noble Gyllenhaal family. Her mother was born in New York City, and is from a Jewish family .
10. Gyllenhaal grew up in Los Angeles, and studied at the Harvard–Westlake prep school.
11. Kushner gave her the role in Homebody/ Kabul on the strength of her performance in Closer.