1. After starting his career with television appearances in the early 1990s, Leto achieved recognition for his role as Jordan Catalano on the television series My So-Called Life .
2. He made his film debut in How to Make an American Quilt .
3. He later began focusing increasingly on his music career, returning to acting with Panic Room .
4. In 2016, he played the DC Comics supervillain Joker in the DC Extended Universe film Suicide Squad.
5. Leto is considered to be a method actor, known for his constant devotion to and research of his roles.
6. He often remains completely in character for the duration of the shooting schedules of his films, even to the point of adversely affecting his health.
7. Leto is the lead vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and main songwriter for Thirty Seconds to Mars, a band he formed in 1998 in Los Angeles, California, with his older brother Shannon Leto.
8. Jared Joseph Leto was born on December 26, 1971, in Bossier City, Louisiana, to Constance Leto . “Leto” is the surname of his stepfather.
9. He later co-starred with Christina Ricci in The Last of the High Kings .
10. In 1997, Leto starred in the biopic Prefontaine in which he played the role of Olympic hopeful Steve Prefontaine.
11. After landing the lead role of a British aristocrat in the 1998 drama Basil, Leto starred in the horror Urban Legend.
12. The film was poorly received by most movie critics, however, it was a financial success.