1. She made her acting debut in 2005, and went on to star in films such as Tanner Hall, the remake A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Social Network and Trash.
2. She received critical acclaim for her performance and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama.
3. In 2015, she won the Best Actress Award at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival for her role in the film Carol.
4. Mara is also known for her charity work and oversees the charity Uweza Foundation, which supports empowerment programs for children and families in the Kibera slum in Nairobi, Kenya, one of the largest slums in Africa.
5. Wellington was the long-time co-owner of the Giants, who was succeeded in that position by her uncle, John Mara.
6. Her maternal grandfather, Timothy James “Tim” Rooney, has run Yonkers Raceway in Yonkers, New York since 1972. Her great-uncle, Dan Rooney, is chairman of the Steelers, the former United States Ambassador to Ireland, and the co-founder of The Ireland Funds charitable organization.
7. U.S. Rep. Tom Rooney from Florida is her first cousin, once removed.
8. After graduating from Fox Lane High School in 2003, she went to Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia in South America for four months as part of the Traveling School, an open learning environment.
9. Mara was inspired to act by seeing musical theatre and classic movies, like Gone with the Wind , with her mother. She also wanted to be like her sister, Kate Mara, a professional actress.
10. Patricia resisted pursuing acting as a child, stating to The Journal News that “it never seemed that honorable to me, and I guess I was always afraid that I might fail.”
11. Mara first appeared as an extra in films which starred her sister, including a bit-part in the 2005 direct-to-video horror film Urban Legends: Bloody Mary.
12. In a coming-of-age film Tanner Hall, Mara landed her first lead role, as Fernanda who has an affair with a married family friend . Mara dropped her first name, Patricia to be known professionally by her middle name after working on the project.