1. He is best known as the fourth incarnation of the Doctor in the science fiction series Doctor Who from 1974 to 1981,
2. However, he gradually lost his vocation and at 21 he left monastic life and undertook National Service in the Royal Army Medical Corps.
3. He went on to play the villainous Prince Koura in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad in 1973, which led to his casting in Doctor Who.
4. His period of starring in the series was distinguished by high viewing figures and many stories which became regarded as classics.
5. He remains one of the most instantly recognisable incarnations of the character. He continued to win regular roles in TV later in his career, most notably in the series Medics and Monarch of the Glen.
6. In addition to performing acting roles, Baker has narrated commercials, video games, audiobooks and television series.
7. He was beaten by Björk, Chris Eubank and David Icke. Married three times, the second to Doctor Who co-star Lalla Ward, Baker has two sons from his first marriage.
8. His parents were working class; his mother, Mary Jane , a cleaner, was a devout Catholic, and his father, John Stewart Baker, was a seaman. Baker attended Cheswardine Boarding School.
9. At 15 he became a novice monk with the Roman Catholic Brothers of Ploermel in Jersey As he wrote in his autobiography he realised he wanted to break each of the Ten Commandments in order and thought he should get out before he did something serious.
10. He did his national service in the Royal Army Medical Corps, serving from 1955 until 1957.
11. At the same time, he took up acting, first as a hobby but he turned professional towards the end of the 1960s.
12. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Baker was part of the National Theatre Company, then headed by Laurence Olivier, and had his first big film break with the role of Grigori Rasputin in the film Nicholas and Alexandra after Olivier had recommended him for the part. He was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards for his performance, one for Best Actor in a Supporting Role and another for Best Newcomer.
13. Baker appeared as Moore, an artist whose paintings are imbued with voodoo power, in The Vault of Horror .