1. Since then he has appeared in numerous films in his native Scandinavia and Europe in general, including Headhunters .
2. In the United States, his debut film role was in the war film Black Hawk Down , playing Medal of Honor recipient Gary Gordon.
3. He then played Detective John Amsterdam in the short-lived Fox television series New Amsterdam , as well as appearing as Frank Pike in the 2009 Fox television film Virtuality, originally intended as a pilot.
4. He became widely known to a broad audience for his current role as Ser Jaime Lannister, in the HBO series Game of Thrones.
5. In 2017, he became one of the highest paid actors on television and earned US$1.1 million per episode of Game of Thrones.
6. Coster-Waldau was born in Rudkøbing, Denmark, the son of Hanne Søborg Coster, a librarian, and Jørgen Oscar Fritzer Waldau .
7. Coster-Waldau was the youngest actor to enter the Danish National School of Theatre and Contemporary Dance , where he was educated from 1989 to 1993.
8. He made his stage debut as Laertes in Hamlet at the Betty Nansen Theater.
9. He made his British début alongside Clive Owen, Jude Law and Mick Jagger in Bent .
10. Coster-Waldau says “My first U.S. movie was Black Hawk Down and a friend helped me put myself on tape up on the attic over my apartment in Copenhagen.
11. Coster-Waldau used his success to take roles on both sides of the Atlantic, particularly his native Scandinavia.
12. He later recalled in a 2015 interview in TV Guide, “Finally getting my SAG card was huge for me…I got excited I went straight to the SAG online shop and bought four mugs with SAG logo.
13. He went on to play Sykes, a military weapons expert in the science fiction action thriller film Oblivion.