1. Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch CBE is an English actor and film producer who has performed in film, television, theatre and radio.
2. The son of actors Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham, he graduated from the University of Manchester and continued his training at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, obtaining a Master of Arts in Classical Acting.
3. Since then has starred in the Royal National Theatre productions After the Dance .
4. He has starred in the films Amazing Grace as William Pitt the Younger .
5. From 2012 to 2014, through voice and motion capture, he played the characters of Smaug and the Necromancer in The Hobbit film series.
6. Cumberbatch will portray the Marvel Comics character Dr. Stephen Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; first appearing in the film Doctor Strange in November 2016.
7. Cumberbatch has received numerous awards and nominations for acting including three Laurence Olivier Award nominations, winning Best Actor in a Play for Frankenstein.
8. He has also received three Primetime Emmy Award nominations, winning Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for Sherlock.
9. His performance in The Imitation Game earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor.
10. In addition, he has received six British Academy of Film and Television Arts nominations, five Screen Actors Guild Award nominations and two Golden Globe Award nominations among others.
11. He was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in June 2015 for his services to the performing arts and to charity.
12. Cumberbatch was born on 19 July 1976 in London, England, to actors Timothy Carlton He grew up in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
13. After leaving Harrow, Cumberbatch took a gap year to volunteer as an English teacher at a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India.