1. Born and raised in Los Angeles, California, Kardashian first gained media attention through her friendship with Paris Hilton, but she received wider notice after a 2003 sex tape with her former boyfriend Ray J was leaked in 2007.
2. Later that year, she and her family began to appear in the reality television series Keeping Up with the Kardashians.
3. Its success has led to the creation of spin-offs including Kourtney and Kim Take New York and Kourtney and Kim Take Miami.
4. In 2010, Kardashian was reported to be the highest-paid reality television personality, with estimated earnings of US$6 million.
5. As a teenager, she attended Marymount High School, a Roman Catholic all-girls school in Los Angeles. In 1994, her father represented football player O. J. Simpson during his murder trial.
6. In 2000, 19-year-old Kardashian eloped with music producer Damon Thomas. Thomas filed for divorce in 2003.
7. Kardashian later credited their separation to physical and emotional abuse on his part.
8. In February 2007, a sex tape made by Kardashian and Ray J in 2003 was leaked. Kardashian filed a lawsuit against Vivid Entertainment, who distributed the film as Kim K Superstar.
9. In 2008, she made her feature film debut in the disaster film spoof Disaster Movie, in which she appeared as a character named Lisa. That year, she was one of thirteen participants on the seventh season of Dancing with the Stars, where she was partnered with Mark Ballas.
10. In January 2009, Kardashian made a cameo appearance during an episode of the sitcom How I Met Your Mother, in the episode “Benefits”.
11. For every LipFusion lipgloss sold, US$1 went to the Foundation to fund women entrepreneurs in the US.
12. In April, Kardashian sparked controversy over the way she held a kitten for a photograph, holding it by the scruff of its neck. With sisters Kourtney and Khloé, Kardashian is involved in the retail and fashion industries.
13. Animal rights organization PETA criticized Kardashian for repeatedly wearing fur coats, and named her as one of the five worst people or organizations of 2010 when it came to animal welfare.
14. That same month, Kardashian was involved in a lawsuit against one of her endorsements.