1. Chastain began her Hollywood career in guest-roles on several television shows, before making her feature film debut in Jolene .
2. She gained wide public recognition in 2011 for her starring roles in six film releases, including Take Shelter, The Tree of Life and The Help.
3. Her performance as Celia Foote in the last earned her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role.
4. Chastain garnered critical acclaim in 2012 for her performance in Zero Dark Thirty, winning the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama and the Critics Choice Movie Award for Best Actress and receiving a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress, the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role.
5. Chastain was born in Sacramento, California, the daughter of Jerri Renée , a vegan chef.
6. She was raised by her mother and stepfather, Michael Leroy Hastey, a fireman.
7. Chastain first developed an interest in acting at the age of seven, after her grandmother took her to a production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which starred David Cassidy. Chastain said that she struggled academically as a student at El Camino High School in Sacramento.
8. With too many absences during her senior year in 1995, she did not qualify for graduation but eventually obtained an “adult diploma”. a professional theater company in the San Francisco Bay Area.
9. A scholarship by Robin Williams provided the funds for Chastain to attend Juilliard School in New York City, She was an active participant in the drama department and starred in several theatrical productions and student film projects.
10. She guest-starred in a few television series, such as Veronica Mars, Close to Home and Law & Order: Trial By Jury.
11. While working at Playwrights Horizons, she was recommended by her director to Al Pacino, who was looking for an unknown actress to star in his new production of Salome and hired her on the spot.
12. The success of the play at Wadsworth Theatre, which sold out after getting positive reviews, helped bring her to the attention of several casting directors.
13. In 2009, Chastain starred in Stolen, a mystery–thriller film directed by Anders Anderson.
14. It was universally panned by critics and not released as video on demand and in a limited theatrical release until March 2010.