1. Lindsay Vere Duncan, CBE is a Scottish stage, television and film actress.
2. On stage she has won two Olivier Awards, a Tony Award for her performance in Private Lives, and another Tony Award nomination for her role in Les Liaisons dangereuses.
3. On film she voiced the android TC-14 in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace .
4. She was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2009 Birthday Honours for services to drama.
5. Duncan was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in a working class family; Her parents moved to Leeds, then Birmingham when she was still a child.
6. Duncan attended King Edward VI High School for Girls in Birmingham through a scholarship.
7. In 1978 she returned to London in Plenty by David Hare at the National.
8. In 1985 she joined the Royal Shakespeare Company for the production of Troilus and Cressida, in which she played Helen of Troy. In September she created the role of the Marquise de Merteuil in Les Liaisons Dangereuses, the play by Christopher Hampton after the French novel by Choderlos de Laclos.
9. In October of the same year the production moved to the Ambassadors in the West End.
10. In April 1987 the cast, including Duncan, took the play to Broadway, with the London production completely recast.
11. For her performance she was nominated for a Tony and won the Olivier Award for Best Actress and a Theatre World Award.
12. In 1988 Duncan won an Evening Standard Award for her role of Maggie in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams.
13. Duncan played Servilia Caepionis in the 2005 HBO-BBC series Rome and she starred as Rose Harbinson in Starter for 10.
14. In February 2009, she played British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in Margaret.