1. She starred as Meredith Kane on the Starz TV series Boss and was a lead character in the second season of The Following.
2. She is set to play Queen Hippolyta in the upcoming 2017 film Wonder Woman.
3. Nielsen was born in Frederikshavn and grew up in the village of Elling, Denmark.
4. Her father, Bent Nielsen, was a bus driver, and her mother was an insurance clerk, who also acted and wrote musical reviews. She began her acting career working alongside her mother on the local revue and variety scene.
5. At 18, she traveled to Paris, France, where she worked as an actress and model, which led to further work and study in Italy—at drama school in Rome and in master classes with Lydia Styx, a teacher at Piccolo Teatro di Milano in Milan.
6. She lived in Italy for many years, before moving to the United States, where she still resides.
7. Since then, she has starred in American films including Mission to Mars , for which she had to cut off most of her hair.
8. She also starred in the acclaimed French thriller Demonlover , directed by Olivier Assayas.
9. She played the Irish mother to an orphan in A Shine of Rainbows .
10. In 2004, Nielsen made her Danish film debut in the drama, Brødre , for which she won the Danish Best Actress Award, the Bodil, as well as Best Actress at the San Sebastian International Film Festival.
11. In 2006, Nielsen appeared in several episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Detective Dani Beck.
12. Alongside Charlotte Gainsbourg, Jamie Bell and Uma Thurman, Nielsen appeared in the 2014 Lars Von Trier film Nymphomaniac.
13. In 2015 she appeared on the latest TV-2 album Det gode liv where she sang along with Steffen Brandt on the track “Brev til Mona”.
14. They have one son together, Bryce Thadeus Ulrich-Nielsen , from a previous relationship.
15. Nielsen is a polyglot who speaks eight languages: Danish, English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, and a little Spanish.