1. Mark Robert Michael Wahlberg is an American actor, producer, businessman, and former model and rapper.
2. He was known as Marky Mark in his earlier years, becoming famous for his 1991 debut as frontman with the band Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.
3. Wahlberg later transitioned to acting, appearing in films such as the drama Boogie Nights and the satirical war-comedy Three Kings during the 1990s.
4. In the 2000s, he starred in the biographical disaster drama The Perfect Storm, the science fiction film Planet of the Apes, and the Martin Scorsese-directed neo-noir crime drama The Departed, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
5. In the 2010s, he starred in the action-comedy The Other Guys alongside Will Ferrell, the biographical sports drama The Fighter, which earned him an Academy Award for Best Picture nomination, the comedy Ted, the war film Lone Survivor, and the sci-fi action film Transformers: Age of Extinction.
6. Wahlberg has also served as executive producer of four HBO series: the period crime drama Boardwalk Empire , and Ballers, which stars Dwayne Johnson and premiered in June 2015.
7. Wahlberg received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on July 29, 2010.
8. Wahlberg was born in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts, the youngest of nine children, including actor Robert and actor-singer Donnie.
9. During his youth, Wahlberg was in trouble 20–25 times with the Boston Police Department.
10. For these crimes, Wahlberg was charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced to two years in Suffolk County Deer Island House of Correction.
11. He ultimately served only 45 days of his sentence, but carries a permanent felony record.
12. In another incident, the 21-year-old Wahlberg fractured the jaw of a neighbor in an unprovoked attack. Commenting in 2006 on his past crimes, Wahlberg has stated: “I did a lot of things that I regret, and I have certainly paid for my mistakes.”
13. “As soon as I began that life of crime, there was always a voice in my head telling me I was going to end up in jail.
14. First of all, I had to learn to stay on the straight and narrow.”
15. Wahlberg first relied on the guidance of his parish priest to turn his back on crime.
16. He told his street gang that he was leaving them and had “some serious fights” with them over it.