1. Benjamin Paul Ballance-Drew , primarily known as Plan B or Ben Drew, is an English rapper, singer-songwriter, actor, and film director.
2. He first emerged as a hip hop artist, releasing his critically acclaimed debut album Who Needs Actions When You Got Words in 2006.
3. His second studio album, The Defamation of Strickland Banks , was a soul record and went straight to number one on the UK Albums Chart.
4. Drew has also had a successful film career as an actor, with roles in Adulthood .
5. In 2012, he released the film Ill Manors, which he wrote and directed, accompanied by a Plan B soundtrack album which became his second number one album.
6. He later transferred to Tom Hood School He finally left school with three GCSEs.
7. He taught himself how to play guitar at 14, first playing Blur and Oasis songs with friends, then going on to write his own R&B love songs.
8. At 18, feeling uncomfortable with R&B, he turned towards rap and hip hop and wrote “Kidz”, inspired by the murder of Damilola Taylor.
9. Drew explained his stage name during an appearance on USA Today in 2007, stating, “The whole reason for calling myself Plan B was that I was doing this sweet-boy Justin Timberlake shit, but I never felt comfortable… when I started rapping, it was easier for me to feel comfortable.”
10. Plan B first appeared with the track “Cap Back”, produced by DJ Wonder . His first single “Kidz”/”Dead and Buried” was also released in 2005 as a limited edition 7″ vinyl on his own label Pet Cemetery Records.
11. He soon gained a recording contract with 679 Recordings and released his second double A-side single “Sick 2 Def”/”No Good”, filming his debut music video for “No Good”.
12. Also in 2007, Plan B featured on songs by other artists such as Professor Green, Killa Kela, Skrein, Shameless and the Mitchell Brothers.
13. With a supporting role in the film Adulthood , Plan B recorded three songs for the film’s soundtrack – “End in the Streets”, “On It 08” with Adam Deacon and “I Need Love” featuring Jacob Anderson.
14. Plan B also featured on the Chase & Status single “Pieces”, which topped the UK Dance Chart in 2008 and peaked at number seventy on the UK Singles Chart. which was lifted from the soundtrack to Eran Creevy’s film Shifty and Daniel Mays.
15. Also in 2009, Plan B played Noel Winters in Harry Brown, and achieved his first Top ten hit single with “End Credits”, another collaboration with Chase & Status which featured in the soundtrack for Harry Brown.
16. The lead single from the album, “Stay Too Long”, reached number nine on the UK Singles Chart.