1. Jos Alberto Rodrguez Rodrguez wrestled as El Patrn Alberto in Asistencia Asesora y Administracin (AAA), Ring of Honor (ROH), Lucha Underground, Japan, Puerto Rico, and various U.S. independent promotions.
2. Before working for WWE, Rodrguez used the name Dos Caras Jr. as both a mixed martial artist and luchador in mostly Mexico and Japan, achieving success in Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL).
3. Rodrguez is a seven-time world champion, having held the WWE Championship twice, WWE’s World Heavyweight Championship twice, the CMLL World Heavyweight Championship once, the WWL World Heavyweight Championship once, and the AAA Mega Championship once.
4. Rodrguez also won the 2011 Royal Rumble and a WWE Championship contract in the 2011 Money in the Bank ladder match, making him the first, and so far, only wrestler to win both in the same calendar year.
5. After not competing at the 2000 Olympic games, Rodrguez turned to the family business, and trained with his father to become a professional wrestler.
6. Caras made his debut appearance on May 9, 2000 as he ran in during an Asistencia Asesora y Administracin (AAA) show to save his father from a beat down from El Texano, Pirata Morgan. Over the next couple of years, Caras worked both in Mexico and Japan to gain experience in the ring.
7. In Mexico he worked exclusively for AAA making appearances at shows such as the 2002 Verano de Escndalo, where he teamed with El Gronda and El Hijo del Solitario to defeat the trio of Pirata Morgan, Sangre Chicana and El Brazo.
8. Over the next year Caras found himself without much direction, he worked storylines with ltimo Guerrero and Kenzo Suzuki but nothing long term came of it.
9. Caras received two opportunities to challenge Universo 2000 for the CMLL World Heavyweight title but came up short until his third attempt on July 8, 2007 when he became the CMLL World Heavyweight Champion.
10. Caras’s run with the CMLL World Heavyweight Championship remained largely uneventful with only four title defenses in the 533 days that he held the championship.
11. Throughout his entire career Dos Caras Jr. had always played a heroic character, known in Mexico as a tcnico.
12. However, after the contract dealings with WWE surfaced he began showing signs of becoming a villain, known as a rudo.
13. He would turn his attention away from the matches and instead try to win the approval of the fans, often costing his team the match because he was distracted.
14. Caras himself explained this behavior by stating that he “hurt his shoulder, but bravely stayed in the arena”. After becoming a rudo, he began working a storyline with Shocker.
15. By the fall of 2008 a story broke that Rodrguez had wrestled a dark match for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and that they had offered him a contract. Over the following months conflicting reports of whether he had signed or not arose, but he remained CMLL World Heavyweight Champion.
16. When Caras lost the title to ltimo Guerrero it was believed that he had indeed signed with WWE, with him being rumored to be a surprise participant in the 2009 Royal Rumble.