1. Irina Valeryevna Shaykhlislamova , is a Russian model and actress known for her appearances in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue between 2007 and 2015.
2. Shayk was born in Yemanzhelinsk, Russia to Volga Tatar Valery Shaykhlislamov, a coal miner, and his Russian wife Olga, a kindergarten music teacher. She has said that she inherited her looks from her father and that people often think she is South American: “My father was dark skinned, because he was Tatar, sometimes Tatars can look Brazilian…
3. I get my light eyes from my mother.” She has one sibling, a sister named Tatiana.
4. At age nine she enrolled in a music school and studied there for seven years, both playing the piano and singing in the choir, since her mother wanted her to study music.
5. After high school, Shayk studied marketing but failed it and entered a beauty school with her older sister.
6. While there, she was noticed by a person from a local modeling agency who was struck by her beauty.
7. She was urged to participate in the “Miss Chelyabinsk 2004” beauty contest and she won.
8. In 2007, she replaced Ana Beatriz Barros as the face of Intimissimi, and in the same year debuted in the annual Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
9. Since that time, she has appeared in every annual edition, attending photoshoots in such places as St. Petersburg, Naples, Grenada and Chile.
10. On 14 February 2011 episode of the Late Show with David Letterman, it was revealed via billboard that Shayk was the covermodel for the 2011 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
11. This is the fifth time she has been featured in the magazine, but the first time she has been on the cover.
12. She is the first Russian to appear on the cover. In 2011 she covered magazines such as Tatler Russia, Twelv, Cosmopolitan Spain, GQ Mexico Glamour Spain, Amica Italy and appeared on the covered of Elle Spain the special edition for Christmas.
13. She also worked for many brands like Rampage, replacing Bar Refaeli, Replay and XTI.
14. She also covered S Moda Spain and The Sunday Time Style UK.
15. She also did an editorial for Vanity fair Italy The same year, she has appeared in campaigns for Morellato, Agua Bendita and Blanco. Shayk is also the new face of the brand La Clover and of Avon super drama mascara.