1. Gerard James Butler is a Scottish actor who has appeared on film, stage, and television.
2. After studying law, Butler turned to acting in the mid-1990s with small roles in productions such as Mrs. Brown .
3. The following year, he played Attila the Hun in the miniseries Attila .
4. In the 2000s, Butler co-starred in the films Reign of Fire with Christian Bale .
5. That role earned him a Satellite Award nomination for Best Actor.
6. That role earned him nominations for an Empire Award for Best Actor and a Saturn Award for Best Actor and a win for MTV Movie Award for Best Fight.
7. That same year, he starred in the romantic drama film P.S. I Love You with Hilary Swank.
8. In 2009, he starred in several films including the romantic comedy The Ugly Truth with Katherine Heigl and the thriller Law Abiding Citizen with Jamie Foxx.
9. In the 2010s, he voiced the role of Stoick the Vast in the animated action-fantasy film How to Train Your Dragon, a role he later reprised in Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon .
10. He also played Sam Childers in the 2011 action biopic Machine Gun Preacher.
11. In 2012, he co-starred in the biographical drama surf film Chasing Mavericks with Jonny Weston, and the romantic comedy film Playing for Keeps with Jessica Biel.
12. A year later, he starred as Mike Banning in the action thriller film Olympus Has Fallen opposite Morgan Freeman.
13. He had a small part in the 2014 film 300: Rise of an Empire where he reprised his role as King Leonidas in flashback.
14. Butler did not see his father again until he was 16 years old, when Edward Butler called to meet him at a Glasgow restaurant.
15. After this meeting, Butler cried for hours, and recalled of it later: “That emotion showed me how much pain can sit in this body of yours; pain and sorrow that you don’t know you have until it is unleashed.”
16. During his time as a student, he became the President of the university law society, While Butler was a 22-year-old student, his father was diagnosed with cancer and died.