1. Kathleen Marie “Kathy” Ireland (born March 20, 1963) is an American model and actress, turned author and entrepreneur.
2. As a result of her career as a businesswoman, she had made a $420 million personal fortune by 2015 (Forbes).
3. She has remained involved with various charities and non-profit organizations dedicated to global women’s rights and justice, education, emergency response and training for children, disease research and management, and HIV/AIDS.
4. Kathy Ireland was born in Glendale, California, the daughter of John and Barbara Ireland.
5. In 1979, at the age of sixteen, Kathy Ireland was scouted at her high school by Elite Model Management.
6. Starting in 1984, Ireland was featured in the annual Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue for 13 consecutive years, with her final appearance in 1996. She appeared on the cover of the annual issue three times, a feat tied by Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs, and surpassed only by Elle Macpherson (with five appearances).
7. Ireland was the cover model for the first time on the 25th Anniversary Swimsuit Edition, which became SI ‘s best selling swimsuit issue to date. She returned to the cover in 1992 and in 1994.
8. In her third appearance, she was accompanied by Rachel Hunter and Elle Macpherson, who were both pregnant at the time.
9. As a teenager, Ireland reported that a photographer once “crossed the line” with her and wanted her to pose topless.
10. She did not feel comfortable and he did not respect her “no.”
11. He reportedly pushed her and got physical and she “decked him.”
12. During SI Swimsuit’s 50th Anniversary event, Ireland’s 1989 cover was awarded “The Greatest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Cover Of All Time” by its publisher.
13. In 1993, Kathy Ireland’s name on a line of socks sold 100 million pairs and Kmart took notice, subsequently giving Ireland her own clothing line including swimwear, active wear, accessories, sweaters and more.
14. She then founded kathy ireland Worldwide, initially a brand marketing firm, which she and her related trusts own in its entirety.
15. Ireland’s billionaire friend and Berkshire Hathaway’s Warren Buffett advised her to enter into the home furnishings business.
16. “Fashion and apparel is consistently changing, but in home it’s more consistent,” Buffett said. Buffet opens each Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting with Ireland and Bill Gates.kathy ireland Worldwide ranked #31 on License!
17. She launched her line of wedding gowns by presenting a runway fashion show at the Festival of Brides held in Disneyland Resort. Fashion is not Ireland’s only venture.