1. Penélope Cruz Sánchez is a Spanish actress and model.
2. Signed by an agent at age 15, she made her acting debut at 16 on television and her feature film debut the following year in Jamón, jamón to critical acclaim.
3. Her subsequent roles in the 1990s and 2000s included Open Your Eyes .
4. She has since appeared in films in a range of genres, including the comedy Waking Up in Reno .
5. She was critically acclaimed for her roles in Volver , receiving Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations for each.
6. She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2008 for playing María Elena in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
7. She was the first Spanish actress in history to receive an Academy Award and the first Spanish actress to receive a star at the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
8. Penélope and her younger sister Mónica Cruz have designed clothing for Mango.
9. Penélope Cruz Sánchez was born in Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain, the daughter of Encarna , a hairdresser and personal manager, and Eduardo Cruz, a retailer and car mechanic.
10. Penelope also has a paternal half-sister Salma. Cruz remembers “playing with some friends and being aware that I was acting as I was playing with them.
11. I would think of a character and pretend to be someone else.”
12. As a teenager, Cruz became interested in acting after seeing the film Tie Me Up!
13. Tie Me Down! by Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar. Cruz commented on the experience that “I was very extroverted as a kid.
14. I was studying when I was in high school at night, I was in ballet and I was doing castings.
15. I looked for an agent and she sent me away three times because I was a little girl but I kept coming back.
16. It was obvious there was something very impressive about this kid.
17. Her father Eduardo died at his home in Spain in 2015 at the age 62, of a heart attack.