1. In September 2007, his single “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100.
2. The single was initially self-published on the internet, and it later became a number-one hit in the United States for seven non-consecutive weeks starting in September 2007.
3. DeAndre Way was born in Chicago and moved to Atlanta at age six, In November 2005, Way posted his songs on the website SoundClick.
4. Following positive reviews on the site, he established accounts on YouTube and Myspace. In March 2007, he recorded “Crank That” and released his first independent album Unsigned & Still Major: Da Album Before da Album, followed by a low-budget video filmed demonstrating the “Crank That” dance.
5. By the end of May 2007, “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” had received its first airplay and Way met with Mr. Collipark to sign a deal with Interscope Records.
6. The follow-up to souljaboytellem.com, iSouljaBoyTellem, was released on December 16, 2008, to negative critical reception. The first single from the album, “Bird Walk”, peaked at number 40 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and the top 20 on the Hot Rap Tracks chart.
7. It was performed on the first YouTube Live on November 22, 2008, with an introduction from MC Hammer. Chris Brown was originally Way’s first choice to sing the hook, but respectfully turned down the offer.
8. Way then tried to do it on his own with Auto-Tune but he found it unacceptable.
9. On January 26, 2009, Way released his third single “Turn My Swag On”. it topped the US Rap Charts and peaked at number 19 on the Billboard Hot 100.
10. It has so far sold more than 1,000,000 digital downloads in the United States.
11. It became Soulja Boy’s third song to sell 1 million or more downloads.
12. The DeAndre Way is Way’s third studio album, Way has stated that the album is intended to be his most personal and successful album thus far.
13. When speaking on possible collaborations, he stated he wished to work with artists such as Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Kanye West among others.
14. The lead single from the album, “POW”, was released in January 2009 but failed to garner success and was dubbed a promo single.
15. But on June 8, 2010, the official lead single from the album was “Pretty Boy Swag”.
16. On October 19, 2010, Way finally released “Speakers Going Hammer” on iTunes with the single peaking at number 48 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs. only sold 70,000 copies making this Way’s lowest selling album.
17. Soulja Boy was to be part of the Summerbeatz tour held in Australia alongside Flo Rida, Jay Sean and Travie McCoy in November 2010, but in lieu of his current album release date Soulja Boy had declined the offer and just embarked on his “Who They Want” tour.