1. Robert Kelly Slater is an American professional surfer known for his competitive prowess and style.
2. He has been crowned World Surf League Champion a record 11 times, including 5 consecutive titles in 1994–98.
3. Upon winning his 5th world title in 1997, Slater passed Australian surfer Mark Richards to become the most successful champion in the history of the sport.
4. In 2007 he also became the all-time leader in career event wins by winning the Boost Mobile Pro event at Lower Trestles near San Clemente, California.
5. After earlier being awarded the title prematurely as a result of a miscalculation by the Association of Surfing Professionals , on November 6, 2011 Slater officially won his eleventh ASP world title at the Rip Curl Pro Search San Francisco, by winning his 4th round heat.
6. He did it again on June 2013 at the quarter finals at the Volcom Fiji Pro with two perfect ten waves, only the fourth person in history to do so.
7. He exclusively rides Channel Islands surfboards equipped with his own signature series of FCS fin masons.
8. As of 2015, Slater has been seen riding unlabelled Firewire surf boards.
9. Slater was born on February 11, 1972 in Cocoa Beach, Florida, where he continues to reside.
10. He is the son of Judy and Irish ancestry. He has a teenage daughter named Taylor.
11. In his spare time Slater enjoys playing the guitar, composing sonnets, and spending quality time with longtime girlfriend Kalani Miller, who often travels and supports him on the ASP World Tour.
12. Kelly also loves spending time with his lifelong friend Derek “shorebreak” Johnson, of Delray Beach notoriety.
13. Some of his favorite surf spots include Mondos in Ventura, California, Pipeline in Hawaii, Kirra in Australia, Jeffreys Bay in South Africa, Minis in Ireland, Taghazout in Morocco, Soup Bowls in Barbados, and Sebastian Inlet near his home in Florida. He is also an avid golfer, with a +2 handicap.
14. Slater played the recurring character Jimmy Slade on twenty-seven episodes of the popular TV show Baywatch in the early 1990s. He appeared in an episode of the reality show The Girls Next Door, and has starred in many surf films during his career.
15. In the late 1990s Slater, with friends and fellow pro surfers Rob Machado and Peter King, formed a band called The Surfers.
16. The trio released an album in 1998 titled Songs from the Pipe, a reference to the famous surf spot Pipeline on Oahu, Hawaii.
17. Kelly toured Australia with his band, performing in venues such as the Opera House and parliament house.