1. Rachael Domenica Ray is an American television personality, businesswoman, celebrity cook and author.
2. She hosts the syndicated daily talk and lifestyle program Rachael Ray, and three Food Network series .
3. Ray has written several cookbooks based on the 30 Minute Meals concept, and launched a magazine Every Day with Rachael Ray, in 2006.
4. Rachael Ray was born in Glens Falls, New York. When Ray was 8, her family moved to Lake George, New York.
5. From there, she became a buyer at Cowan & Lobel, a gourmet market in Albany.
6. Ray credits the concept of 30 Minute Meals to her experience working at the store, where she met people who were reluctant to cook.
7. She taught a course in which she showed how to make meals in less than thirty minutes.
8. With the success of her “30 Minute Meals” classes, WRGB asked her to appear in a weekly segment on their newscasts.
9. This, along with a public radio appearance and the publication of her first book, led to a Today show spot and her first Food Network contract in 2001.
10. Ray teaches simple recipes that she says can be completed in 30 minutes or less, although critics claim that her concept does not include preparation. Ray says that her Sicilian maternal grandfather, Emmanuel Scuderi, and her Cajun ancestry serve as a strong influence on her cooking.
11. She uses ingredients such as fresh herbs, garlic and chicken stock to boost flavors.
12. She believes that measuring “takes away from the creative, hands-on process of cooking” and instead favors approximations such as “half a palmful.”
13. To critics of her shortcut techniques, Ray responds, “I have no formal anything.
14. In 2005, Ray signed a deal to host a syndicated daytime TV talk show. The show, Rachael Ray, premiered on September 18, 2006.
15. In coordination with the syndication announcement, Ray said, “People know me for my love of food, but I have so much more I want to share.”
16. In 2008, Ray became a television executive producer of a short-lived Latin cooking show on the Food Network called Viva Daisy!, starring Daisy Martínez.
17. In January 2012, Rachael was one of the two team captains, Guy Fieri being the other, in the Food Network reality series Rachael vs.