1. Kelly Maria Ripa Consuelos is an American actress, talk show host and television producer.
2. She is also known for her role as Faith Fairfield on Hope & Faith.
3. Additionally, Ripa and her husband Mark Consuelos own a New York-based production company, Milojo.
4. In 2012, The Hollywood Reporter named her one of the Most Powerful People in Media.
5. Ripa was born in Stratford, New Jersey, the daughter of Esther, a homemaker, and Joseph Ripa, a labor union president and bus driver.
6. She is the first in her family to enter the acting profession.
7. She has studied ballet since age three, plays the piano, and, in her words, is “no Barbra Streisand,” but can carry a tune.
8. Ripa graduated from Eastern Regional High School in Voorhees Township, New Jersey, where she became a cheerleader and was later encouraged by her drama teacher to pursue acting.
9. “I owe so much of my career to Jim Beckley,” she said.
10. “He thought I was a natural performer and so he gave me the lead in the next show.”
11. Ripa was cast in her first major acting role in 1990 as Hayley Vaughan, a troubled party girl, on All My Children.
12. In his autobiography, How I Got This Way, Philbin says of discovering Ripa:
13. Hers was a natural, quick-witted, unaffected, confident, fun-loving kind of sparkle that both Gelman and I remembered very well.
14. We decided to invite her back, this time to consider her as a possible co-host.
15. So that was when this smiling, petite ball of fire named Kelly Ripa made her return to Live! for a test run at the rotating, up-for-grabs hot seat to my left.
16. During this segment, Margolis guessed that Ripa was pregnant with her second child.
17. Philbin later said that Ripa was first among the potential candidates including Jane Krakowski, Valerie Bertinelli, Dolly Parton, and Bernadette Peters: “t could only be Kelly.