1. Timothy MacKenzie “Tim” Gunn (born July 29, 1953) is an American fashion consultant, television personality, actor, and voice actor.
2. He served on the faculty of Parsons The New School for Design from 1982 to 2007 and was chair of fashion design at the school from August 2000 to March 2007, after which he joined Liz Claiborne as its chief creative officer.
3. He is well known as on-air mentor to designers on the reality television program Project Runway.
4. He also provides the voice of Baileywick, the castle steward in the Disney Junior television show Sofia the First.
5. Gunn was born and raised in Washington, D.C. He is the son of Nancy (ne Comfort) and George William Gunn, an FBI agent during the administration of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover.
6. Gunn started working at Parsons in 1982 and served as associate dean from 1989 2000, then became chair in August 2000.
7. He was credited with “retooling and invigorating the curriculum for the 21st century.”
8. Gunn began appearing on Project Runway during its first season in 2004, and is known for his catchphrase “Make it work.”
9. Gunn received a Primetime Emmy Award in 2013 for Outstanding Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program. Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style, a reality show in which Gunn gives advice to the fashion-challenged, debuted in September 2007 on the Bravo television network.
10. Gunn also played a version of himself as a reporter for the fictional Fashion TV in two episodes of ABC’s Ugly Betty in February 2007 and later guest starred on Drop Dead Diva in August 2009 as himself.
11. Gunn left Parsons in 2007 and joined Liz Claiborne, Inc. as the company’s chief creative officer in March of that year.
12. In April 2007, Abrams Image Publishers released Gunn’s book A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style, co-written with Kate Moloney, cover photo by Markus Klinko & Indrani.
13. While on tour in Palm Springs, California, the nearby city of Palm Desert honored him with an official resolution declaring April 27, 2007 (the day of his visit) “Timothy M. Gunn Day”.
14. In May 2009, Gunn served as commencement speaker at the Corcoran College of Art and Design, and received an honorary doctorate from the institution.
15. He made sporadic appearances on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson’s “Dear Aquaman” segments, helping or standing in for Aquaman (Ferguson), answering letters and dispensing advice.
16. He guest starred as Barney’s personal tailor on several episodes of How I Met Your Mother.
17. Gunn guest starred as himself on the 6th episode of CW’s fourth season of Gossip Girl, “Easy J”.
18. In August 2007, “Tim Gunn’s Podcast (a reality chamber opera)” by Jeffrey Lependorf premiered at the Cornelia Street Cafe in Manhattan. It received its first run one year later at New York International Fringe Festival.
19. Gunn appeared in a backup story in the first issue of Models Inc., a fashion-themed comic book miniseries published by Marvel Comics that debuted in September 2009 to coincide with New York City’s style showcase.
20. Gunn appeared on a variant cover of the issue illustrated by Phil Jimenez.