1. Mark Sinclair (born July 18, 1967), better known by his stage name Vin Diesel, is an American actor.
2. He is best known for his portrayals of Dominic Toretto in The Fast and the Furious film series and Richard B. Riddick in The Chronicles of Riddick trilogy.
3. Diesel has also starred in films such as xXx (2002) and Find Me Guilty (2006).
4. His voice acting work includes The Iron Giant (1999), the video game spin-offs from The Chronicles of Riddick franchise, and Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).
5. He wrote, directed, produced, and starred in a short film titled Multi-Facial and the feature-length drama film Strays.
6. He is the founder of the production companies One Race Films, Racetrack Records, and Tigon Studios.
7. Diesel made his stage debut at age seven when he appeared in the children’s play Dinosaur Door, written by Barbara Garson.
8. The play was produced at Theater for the New City in New York’s Greenwich Village.
9. His involvement in the play came about when he, his brother, and some friends had broken into the Theater for the New City’s space on Jane Street with the intent to vandalize it.
10. They were confronted by the theater’s artistic director, Crystal Field, who offered them roles in the upcoming show instead of calling the police. Diesel remained involved with the theater throughout adolescence, going on to attend the city’s Hunter College, where his creative writing studies led him to begin screenwriting.
11. Diesel’s first film role was a brief uncredited appearance in Awakenings (1990).
12. He then wrote, directed, produced, and starred in the short film Multi-Facial (1994), a short semi-autobiographical film which follows a struggling actor stuck in the audition process.
13. He made his first feature-length film, Strays (1997), an urban drama in which he played a gang leader whose love for a woman inspires him to try to change his ways.
14. Written, directed, and produced by Diesel, the film was selected for competition at the 1997 Sundance Festival, leading to an MTV deal to turn it into a series.
15. He was then cast in Steven Spielberg’s 1998 Oscar-winning film Saving Private Ryan on the poignancy of his performance in Multi-Facial.
16. In 1999, he provided the voice of the title character in the animated film The Iron Giant.
17. Diesel had a major role in the drama thriller Boiler Room (2000) appearing alongside Giovanni Ribisi and Ben Affleck.
18. He got his breakthrough leading role as the anti-hero Riddick in the science-fiction film Pitch Black later that year.
19. Diesel attained action hero stardom with two box office hits: the street racing action film The Fast and the Furious (2001), and the action thriller xXx (2002).
20. In 2004, Diesel reprised his role as Riddick in The Chronicles of Riddick, which was a box office failure considering the large budget.