1. Marvel was born in Orange County, California but raised in Mohnton, Pennsylvania.
2. She attended Juilliard School and since the early 1990s has appeared in off-Broadway plays.
3. She has won Obie Awards for her work in Thérèse Raquin and Misalliance . She returned to the role she originated Off-Broadway of Brooke Wyeth in Other Desert Cities, which was played by Rachel Griffiths in its Broadway premiere.
4. In 2009, for her performance in Fifty Words, she was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Play.
5. In film, Marvel has appeared in Burn After Reading , as the adult Mattie Ross.
6. On television, she is best known for her regular role as Nancy Parras in CBS series The District .
7. She played recurring roles in Lights Out, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Nurse Jackie, and Person of Interest, and guest-starred on 30 Rock, The Good Wife, and The Newsroom.
8. In 2013, she was cast as lead in the CW family drama pilot Blink, opposite John Benjamin Hickey.