1. He has been a featured actor in the films produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and has been a frequent collaborator of directors Spike Lee and the late Tony Scott.
2. In 2015 he was selected as the recipient for the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award at the 73rd Golden Globe Awards.
3. His father, Denzel Hayes Washington, Sr., a native of Buckingham County, Virginia, was an ordained Pentecostal minister, and also worked for the Water Department and at a local department store, S. Klein.
4. His mother, Lennis “Lynne” , was a beauty parlor owner and operator born in Georgia and partly raised in Harlem.
5. When he was 14, his parents broke up, and his mother sent him to a private preparatory school, Oakland Military Academy in New Windsor, New York.
6. The guys I was hanging out with at the time, my running buddies, have now done maybe 40 years combined in the penitentiary.
7. They were nice guys, but the streets got them.” He was interested in attending Texas Tech University: “I grew up in the Boys Club in Mount Vernon, and we were the Red Raiders.
8. He participated in a staff talent show for the campers and a colleague suggested he try acting.
9. He then attended graduate school at the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, where he stayed for one year before returning to New York to begin a professional acting career.