1. Cole began his professional acting career on stage at the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in 1985.
2. On television, he had starring roles in the series Midnight Caller, American Gothic and Crusade.
3. In film, Cole has had lead and supporting roles in The Brady Bunch Movie, One Hour Photo, Office Space, Dodgeball and Talladega Nights: Balada o Ricky Bobby.
4. Cole is also known for voicing the title character of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.
5. He currently plays Kent Davison on the HBO comedy series Veep, for which he received his first Primetime Emmy Award nomination.
6. Cole was born in Park Ridge, Illinois, and raised in Rolling Meadows, Illinois.
7. He later attended Illinois State University, where he studied theater as a classmate of actors Laurie Metcalf and John Malkovich.
8. Cole began his professional career in 1983 as a stage actor in Chicago, where he joined the ensemble of the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in 1985.
9. In an early role Cole played an accused Army triple-murderer Capt Jeffrey MacDonald in the mini-series Fatal Vision.
10. Cole has also appeared in several off-Broadway productions in New York City.
11. He has done voice work on several animated series and had a recurring role on the drama The West Wing as Vice President Bob Russell.
12. He also starred as Captain Matthew Gideon on the short-lived Babylon 5 spin-off Crusade, and had notable guest appearances on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Arrested Development.
13. One of his most notable roles in 1991 was as General Custer in the much acclaimed television film Son of the Morning Star.
14. Between 1988 and 1991, Cole became popular on TV for playing the part of Jack “Nighthawk” Killian in the series Midnight Caller.
15. In 1999, Cole starred in the film Office Space, in which he portrayed the sadistic office supervisor Bill Lumbergh.
16. He played The Brady Bunch patriarch Mike Brady in the 1995 film The Brady Bunch Movie, the 1996 sequel A Very Brady Sequel, a 2002 television film The Brady Bunch in the White House.
17. Cole starred as Lt. Conrad Rose on the TNT series Wanted, he is also the voice of the title character on the Adult Swim series Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, and starred as Sheriff Lucas Buck on the one season 1995 show, American Gothic.
18. Cole also appeared in the films Talladega Nights, Forever Strong, and American Pastime.
19. He also appeared in an episode from the third season of the USA Network series Psych as S.W.A.T. commander Cameron Luntz.
20. Also in 2013, Cole began a major recurring role as Kent Davison on the HBO comedy series Veep, and has appeared throughout the second, Třetí, fourth, and fifth seasons of the show.