1. Mary Jean “Lily” Tomlin est une actrice américaine, comedian, writer, singer and producer.
2. Tomlin began her career as a stand-up comedian, and performing Off-Broadway during the 1960s.
3. She currently stars on the Netflix series Grace and Frankie as Frankie Bergstein.
4. Her performance as Frankie garnered her a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series in 2015.
5. Dans 1974 Tomlin was cast by Robert Altman in her first film; her performance as Linnea Reese in Nashville won her several awards and nominations for the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
6. Dans 1977, her performance as Margo Sperling in The Late Show won her the Best Actress Award at the Berlin International Film Festival and nominations for the Golden Globe and BAFTA Award for Best Lead Actress.
7. Her signature role was written by her wife, Jane Wagner, in a show titled The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe which opened on Broadway in 1985 and won Tomlin the Tony Award for Best Lead Actress in a Play.
8. She won her first Emmy Awards in 1974 for writing and producing her own television special, Lily.
9. Tomlin won a Grammy Award for her 1972 comedy album This Is a Recording.
10. Tomlin was born in Detroit, Michigan, the daughter of Lillie Mae , a factory worker.
11. She has a brother, Richard Tomlin. She is a 1957 graduate of Cass Technical High School.
12. She auditioned for a play, and it sparked her interest in a career in the theatre and she changed her major.
13. After college, Tomlin began doing stand-up comedy in nightclubs in Detroit and later in New York City.
14. Her first television appearance was on The Merv Griffin Show in 1965.
15. Tomlin was an instant success on the already established program, in which in addition to appearing in general sketches and delivering comic gags, she began appearing as the regular characters she created; they became well known and she portrayed them outside of the show in later recordings and television specials:
16. Edith Ann is a precocious five-and-a-half-year-old girl who waxes philosophical on everyday life, either about life as a kid or things for which she feels she has the answers, although she is too young to fully understand.
17. Edith Ann has an over-sized, playfully aggressive dog named Buster and a boyfriend named Junior Phillips, a possibly unrequited love.