1. Bernard Hinault é um ex-ciclista francês que ganhou o Tour de France cinco vezes.
2. He is one of only six cyclists to have won all three Grand Tours, and one of two cyclists to have won each more than once .
3. He came second in 1984 and 1986 and won 28 stages, of which 13 were individual time trials.
4. The other three to have achieved five Tour de France victories are Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx and Miguel Indurain; of these, Hinault is the only one to have finished either first or second in each Tour de France he finished.
5. Hinault was nicknamed Le Blaireau , as he would often don a hairband, thus resembling a shaving brush.
6. In an interview in the French magazine Vélo, however, Hinault said the nickname had nothing to do with the animal.
7. Guimard became a directeur sportif for the Gitane team and Hinault joined his team.
8. He demonstrated his time trial strength as he maintained his thin lead to the finish.
9. Yet he had demonstrated his talent in the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré where he beat many Tour favourites including eventual winner Bernard Thevenet.
10. Hinault, wearing the yellow jersey, was at the front after an attack on the ascent and heading for victory.
11. But he crashed descending the mountain, climbed up from the roadside and got back on his bike for the win in Bastille of Grenoble.
12. To prepare for the 1978 Tour de France, Hinault rode his first grand tour, the Vuelta a España.
13. He won and felt ready for his first Tour de France.
14. Before the Tour, he won the national championship, which allowed him to wear the tricolour.
15. This tour became a battle with Joop Zoetemelk, Hinault taking the yellow jersey after the final time trial.
16. He was hailed as the next great French cyclist and won the Tour again in 1979.