1. As an actor, he is best known for his role as Lieutenant Tom Paris on the television series Star Trek: Voyager.
2. He was also an executive producer and frequent director of the television series Chuck.
3. He appeared in featured guest roles on numerous TV series, including L.A. Law, Quantum Leap, and Murder, She Wrote.
4. He was a featured cast member on the short-lived 1992 series Going to Extremes, Another guest role that same year was in “The First Duty”, an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, in which he played Nick Locarno, a Starfleet Academy cadet and squad leader who pressures fellow cadet Wesley Crusher into covering up their wrongdoings.
5. McNeill began his directing career with several episodes of Voyager. and began to direct other episodic television shows.
6. His directing credits for 2006–2007 include episodes of Desperate Housewives, Médio, Standoff, The Nine, The Knights of Prosperity, In Case of Emergency, What About Brian and My Boys.
7. In 2007, he directed the season 5 premiere of Las Vegas, the pilot of Samantha Who? and then signed on as a producer-director of the NBC show Chuck, helming numerous episodes, including the first episode of a television show to be broadcast entirely in 3D.
8. In 2010, McNeill directed an episode of V, an ABC science fiction television series produced by Scott Rosenbaum, a former writer and executive producer on Chuck.