1. She won a Screen Actors Guild Award and received a Golden Globe nomination for her role as Kate Austen in the ABC series Lost .
2. She played an Elf, Tauriel, in the fantasy adventure series The Hobbit
3. Lilly was born in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, and raised in British Columbia by her mother and her father, a produce manager. Her father was raised in Nigeria, as her paternal grandparents were missionaries in Africa .
4. Lilly has English and Irish ancestry; one of her grandmothers was an English war bride.
5. She eventually called and the agency landed her several roles in commercials and non-speaking parts in the TV shows Smallville and Kingdom Hospital.
6. Lilly was encouraged to audition for Lost by a friend and she did not expect to get cast.
7. As the secrecy campaign prevented the auditioning actors from accessing the full script, forcing them to read short scenes and only know the basic premise of people surviving a plane crash on a tropical island – which reminded Lilly of The Blue Lagoon – she thought Lost would “at best be a mediocre TV show”. Around 75 women auditioned for the part of Kate Austen.
8. After shooting the final episode of Lost, Lilly said she was considering taking a break from acting to focus on her charity and humanitarian efforts.
9. In 2008, Lilly starred in the Academy Award-winning film The Hurt Locker. She and the rest of the cast won the Gotham Award for Best Ensemble Cast and the Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Award for Best Ensemble.
10. Lilly followed this role with a leading part in psychological thriller film Afterwards.