1. She has appeared in more than 40 feature films, been recipient of numerous international awards, and has appeared on stage and in movies across the world.
2. Coming from an artistic background, she began taking acting lessons during adolescence.
3. After performing in several stage productions, she began acting in films by auteur directors Jean-Luc Godard and André Téchiné, who made her a star in France with the leading role in his 1985 drama Rendez-vous.
4. She sparked the interest of Steven Spielberg, who offered her several parts including a role in Jurassic Park which she declined, choosing instead to join Krzysztof Kieślowski in Three Colors: Blue , a performance for which she won the Venice Film Festival Award for Best Actress and a César.
5. During the 2000s she maintained a successful career, alternating between French and English language roles in both mainstream and art-house productions.
6. In 2008 she began a world tour with a modern dance production in-i devised in collaboration with Akram Khan.
7. Binoche has stated that this perceived parental abandonment had a profound effect on her.
8. She was not particularly academic and in her teenage years she began acting at school in amateur stage productions.
9. Her first professional screen experience was as an extra in the three part TF1 television series Dorothée, danseuse de corde directed by Jacques Fensten, which was followed by a similarly small role in the provincial television film Fort bloque directed by Pierrick Guinnard.
10. Her role required just two days on set, but was enough to inspire Binoche to pursue a career in film.