1. Kimila Ann “Kim” Basinger is an American actress and former fashion model who has appeared in 38 feature films.
2. She began her acting career on television in 1976 and made her film debut in the 1981 drama Hard Country.
3. She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Lynn Bracken in the 1997 film L.A. Confidential.
4. Basinger came to prominence playing Bond girl Domino Petachi in the 1983 film Never Say Never Again, opposite Sean Connery, and went on to receive a Golden Globe nomination for her role as Memo Paris in The Natural .
5. She also starred as Elizabeth in the controversial erotic drama 9½ Weeks .
6. For her role in L.A. Confidential, she also won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress and the SAG Award for Best Supporting Actress.
7. By her mid teens, she grew in confidence and successfully auditioned for the school cheerleading team. When Basinger was 16, she started modeling, .
8. She was subsequently offered a modeling contract with the Ford Modeling Agency. Despite earning $1,000 a day, Basinger never enjoyed modeling, saying “It was very hard to go from one booking to another and always have to deal with the way I looked.
9. I felt myself choking.” Not long after her Ford deal, Basinger appeared on the cover of magazines.
10. She appeared in hundreds of advertisements throughout the early 1970s, most notably as the Breck Shampoo girl.
11. In 1976, after five years as a cover girl, Basinger quit modeling and moved to Los Angeles to act.