1. Taylor Daniel Lautner is an American actor, model and martial artist.
2. Lautner is best known for playing Jacob Black in The Twilight Saga film series based on the novels of the same name by Stephenie Meyer.
3. Lautner later began his acting career, appearing in bit roles in comedy series such as The Bernie Mac Show .
4. In 2005, he appeared in the film Cheaper by the Dozen 2 and starred in The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D.
5. The late 2000s saw Lautner become a teen idol and sex symbol, after extensively changing his physique to keep the role of Jacob Black in further Twilight installments, and generating media attention for his looks.
6. Also in the same year, Lautner was named the highest-paid teenage actor in Hollywood.
7. He took his first karate class at the age of six. A year later, he attended the national karate tournament in Louisville, Kentucky, where he met Michael Chaturantabut, the founder of Xtreme Martial Arts.
8. Chaturantabut invited Lautner to a camp he held at University of California, Los Angeles.
9. In his first months after moving to Los Angeles, Lautner appeared in small television roles, small film roles, and ads and commercials.
10. The same year, he earned his first breakout role, starring in the film, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D. which was received with negative reviews from critics, and was a minor international success.
11. In 2007, filmmakers began a search for actors to portray Jacob Black, a Native American friend of lead character Bella Swan in Twilight, the first film in the The Twilight Saga film series. In January 2008, an open casting call was held in Portland, Oregon.
12. Lautner had not heard of the Twilight series before, but was urged by his agent to audition. The film was a commercial success, earning $69 million its opening weekend, and has grossed $392 million worldwide.