1. He is known for his television roles, particularly the title role in Lovejoy and Blackbeard in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
2. He currently portrays Mr. Wednesday in the Starz series American Gods.
3. McShane was born in Blackburn, Lancashire, the son of Irene . McShane grew up in Davyhulme, Manchester, and attended Stretford Grammar School.
4. Even before Lovejoy, he was a pin-up as a result of appearances in television series, such as Wuthering Heights .
5. In the United States, he is perhaps best known for the role of historical figure Al Swearengen in the HBO series Deadwood, He was also nominated for at the 2005 Emmy Award and Screen Actors Guild Awards.
6. Within the science fiction community, McShane is best known for playing the character Dr Robert Bryson in Babylon 5: The River of Souls.
7. In 2009, McShane appeared in Kings, which was based on the biblical story of David.
8. His portrayal of King Silas Benjamin, an analogue of King Saul, was highly praised, with one critic saying, “Whenever Kings seems to falter, McShane appears to put bite marks all over the scenery.”
9. In 2010, McShane starred in The Pillars of the Earth as Bishop Waleran Bigod.
10. Also in 2010, the Walt Disney Company confirmed that McShane would portray Blackbeard in the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, On Stranger Tides.
11. McShane announced on April 20, 2017 that a script for a two-hour Deadwood movie has been submitted by creator David Milch to HBO and that a film is as close as ever to happening.
12. In 1977, he began a relationship with Sylvia Kristel after meeting her on the set of The Fifth Musketeer.