1. Renowned for his “big” acting style, Oldman is one of the most celebrated thespians of his generation, with a diverse career encompassing theatre, film and television.
2. Oldman began acting on stage in 1979, and gained his first starring film role in Meantime .
3. Roles as a football firm leader in The Firm further increased his renown within British film.
4. Oldman went on to achieve international recognition as an Irish American gangster in State of Grace , which earned him the Saturn Award for Best Actor.
5. Emerging as a popular portrayer of villains, Oldman starred as corrupt DEA agent Norman Stansfield in Léon: The Professional .
6. In the 21st century, he is known for his roles as Sirius Black in the Harry Potter series; James Gordon in The Dark Knight Trilogy; George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy .
7. Oldman also voiced the villain Lord Shen in Kung Fu Panda 2 .
8. As of 2016, motion pictures in which Oldman has starred have grossed over $10.6 billion.
9. Growing up in south London, Oldman supported his local football club Millwall, and also followed Manchester United so that he could watch his idol, George Best. In 2011, Oldman would learn from his mother that his father represented Millwall after World War II, with Oldman stating: “Just after the war, she ran a boarding house, for football players, Millwall players.
10. And I knew that my dad was involved somehow with the reserve team.
11. When he was young he had a couple of first team games.”
12. After leaving school, Oldman was the first in his class to receive professional work.