1. He was knighted by Elizabeth II in July 2000 and received the Kennedy Center Honors in the US.
2. Connery is best known for portraying the character James Bond, starring in seven Bond films between 1962 and 1983. In 1988, Connery won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in The Untouchables.
3. His film career also includes such films as Marnie, The Name of the Rose, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for Red October, Highlander, Murder on the Orient Express, Dragonheart, and The Rock.
4. Connery has been polled as “The Greatest Living Scot” In 1989, he was proclaimed “Sexiest Man Alive” by People magazine, and in 1999, at age 69, he was voted “Sexiest Man of the Century”.
5. Connery claims he was called Sean, his middle name, long before becoming an actor, explaining that when he was young he had an Irish friend named Séamus and that those who knew them both had decided to call Connery by his middle name whenever both were present.
6. He was generally referred to in his youth as “Tommy”. Although he was small in primary school, he grew rapidly around the age of 12, reaching his full adult height of 6 ft 2 in at 18.
7. He was known during his teen years as “Big Tam”, and has claimed to have lost his virginity to an adult woman in an ATS uniform at the age of 14.
8. Connery was later discharged from the navy on medical grounds because of a duodenal ulcer, a condition that affected most of the males in previous generations of his family. a coffin polisher.
9. Connery was a keen footballer, having played for Bonnyrigg Rose in his younger days.
10. While on tour with South Pacific, Connery played in a football match against a local team that Matt Busby, manager of Manchester United, happened to be scouting. According to reports, Busby was impressed with his physical prowess and offered Connery a contract worth £25 a week immediately after the game.
11. Connery admits that he was tempted to accept, but he recalls, “I realised that a top-class footballer could be over the hill by the age of 30, and I was already 23.
12. I decided to become an actor and it turned out to be one of my more intelligent moves.”
13. During a bodybuilding competition held in London in 1953, one of the competitors mentioned that auditions were being held for a production of South Pacific; and Connery landed a small part as one of the Seabees chorus boys.