1. David Tennant is a Scottish actor known for his roles as the Tenth Doctor in the British television series Doctor Who, Alec Hardy in Broadchurch, Giacomo Casanova in the TV serial Casanova, Kilgrave in Jessica Jones, and Barty Crouch, Jr. in the film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
2. In addition to his appearances on screen, he has worked as a voice actor and in theatre, including a critically acclaimed stage production of Hamlet. In January 2015, Tennant received the National Television Award for Special Recognition.
3. William Blair was a member of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland.
4. At the age of three, Tennant told his parents that he wanted to become an actor because he was a fan of Doctor Who, Tennant says he was “absurdly single-minded” in pursuing an acting career.
5. Tennant was educated at Ralston Primary and Paisley Grammar School. He acted in school productions throughout primary and secondary school.
6. Tennant has stated that he later had to legally change his name to Tennant to meet Screen Actors Guild rules.
7. Tennant made his professional acting debut while still in secondary school.
8. When he was 16, he acted in an anti-smoking film made by the Glasgow Health Board which aired on television and was also screened in schools. The following year, he played a role in an episode of Dramarama.
9. In the 1990s, he appeared in several plays at the Dundee Repertory Theatre.
10. When he moved to London shortly afterwards, he lodged with Weir for five years and became godfather to her youngest child.
11. He has subsequently appeared with Weir in many productions: as a guest in her spoof television series Posh Nosh, in the Doctor Who audio drama Exile .
12. Tennant developed his career in the British theatre, frequently performing with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
13. His first Shakespearean role for the RSC was in As You Like It ; having auditioned for the role of Orlando, the romantic lead, he was instead cast as the jester Touchstone, which he played in his natural Scottish accent.