1. He began acting in the 1970s, playing a supporting role in Looking for Mr. Goodbar and a starring role in Days of Heaven.
2. He came to prominence in 1980 for his role in the film American Gigolo, which established him as a leading man and a sex symbol.
3. He went on to star in several hit films, including An Officer and a Gentleman, Pretty Woman, Primal Fear, Runaway Bride, Arbitrage and Chicago, for which he won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor and a Screen Actors Guild Award for part of the Best Cast.
4. In 1967, Gere graduated from North Syracuse Central High School, where he excelled at gymnastics and music, playing the trumpet.
5. Gere first worked professionally at the Seattle Repertory Theatre and Provincetown Playhouse on Cape Cod in 1971, where he starred in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
6. His first major acting role was in the original London stage version of Grease in 1973. In 1979, Gere was one of the first big-name Hollywood actors to play a gay character, starring as a homosexual Holocaust victim in the Broadway production of Bent.
7. In 1980, he became a major star with the film American Gigolo, followed in 1982 by the romantic drama An Officer and a Gentleman with Debra Winger, which grossed almost $130 million.
8. His status as a leading man was solidified and he went on to star in several successful films throughout the 1990s, including Sommersby . He also took a leading role in the 1997 action movie The Jackal, playing Declan Mulqueen.
9. In 2002, he appeared in three major films, including The Mothman Prophecies, Unfaithful and the Academy Award-winning film version of Chicago, for which he won a Golden Globe as “Best Actor – Comedy or Musical”.
10. In 2008, Gere co-starred with Diane Lane in the romantic drama Nights in Rodanthe.
11. Later in his career, Gere was honored twice for his lifetime achievement.
12. In November 2002, he married model and actress Carey Lowell. In September 2013, the two separated after 11 years of marriage.
13. The couple are currently involved in highly contested divorce proceedings in Manhattan Supreme Court.
14. He is a co-founder of the Tibet House, creator of The Gere Foundation and Chairman of the Board of Directors for the International Campaign for Tibet.