1. Jennifer Lynn Connelly is an American film actress who began her career as a child model.
2. She appeared in magazine, newspaper and television advertising, before she made her debut role in the 1984 crime film Once Upon a Time in America.
3. Connelly continued modeling and acting, starring in films such as the 1986 film Labyrinth and the 1991 films Career Opportunities and The Rocketeer.
4. She gained critical acclaim for her work in the 1998 science fiction film Dark City and for her portrayal of Marion Silver in the 2000 drama Requiem for a Dream.
5. Connelly was named Amnesty International Ambassador for Human Rights Education in 2005.
6. She has been the face of Balenciaga fashion advertisements, as well as for Revlon cosmetics.
7. In 2012, she was named the first global face of the Shiseido Company.
8. Connelly was born in Cairo, New York, in the Catskill Mountains.
9. She is the daughter of Ilene, an antiques dealer, and Gerard Karl Connelly , a clothing manufacturer. Her father was Roman Catholic of Irish and Norwegian descent.
10. When Connelly was ten years old, an advertising executive friend of her father suggested she audition as a model. Her parents sent a picture of her to the Ford Modeling Agency, which shortly after added her to its roster.
11. During the audition, Connelly, who had no ballet training, tried to imitate a ballerina.
12. Of her early career, she said, “Before I knew it, became what I did.
13. It was a very peculiar way to grow up, combined with my personality.”
14. Although a disappointment at the box office, The New York Times, while noting the importance of her part, panned her portrayal: “Jennifer Connelly as Sarah is unfortunately disappointing.
15. She looks right, but she lacks conviction and seems to be reading rehearsed lines that are recited without belief in her goal or real need to accomplish it.”