1. She is best known for her portrayal of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy, and reprised the character in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
2. She is also known for her semi-autobiographical novel Postcards from the Edge and screenplay for the film of the same name, as well as her autobiographical one-woman play and the nonfiction book Wishful Drinking based on the show.
3. Fisher was born in Beverly Hills, California, the daughter of singer Eddie Fisher and actress Debbie Reynolds.
4. Her father was Jewish, the son of immigrants from Russia, and her mother was raised a Nazarene, and is of Scots-Irish and English ancestry. Her younger brother is producer and actor Todd Fisher, and her half-sisters are actresses Joely Fisher and Tricia Leigh Fisher, whose mother is the singer and actress Connie Stevens.
5. Fisher attended Beverly Hills High School, but she left to join her mother on the road. She appeared as a debutante and singer in the hit Broadway revival Irene , which starred her mother.
6. At this time, Fisher appeared with Laurence Olivier and Joanne Woodward in the anthology series Laurence Olivier Presents in a television version of the William Inge play Come Back, Little Sheba.
7. That November, she appeared as Princess Leia in the 1978 made-for-TV film, Star Wars Holiday Special, and showed off her singing talent in the last scene.
8. While in Chicago filming the movie, her life was saved by Dan Aykroyd when she was choking on a Brussels sprout and he performed the Heimlich maneuver on her. She appeared on Broadway in Censored Scenes from King Kong in 1980.
9. That year, she reprised her role as Princess Leia in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, and appeared as herself with her Star Wars costars on the cover of the June 12, 1980 issue of Rolling Stone to promote the film. She also appeared in the Broadway production of Agnes of God in 1982.
10. In 1983, Fisher returned to the role of Princess Leia in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, and posed in the Princess Leia metal bikini on the cover of the Summer 1983 issue of Rolling Stone to promote the film.
11. Fisher is one of the few actors or actresses to star in films with both John and James Belushi, later appearing with the latter in the film The Man with One Red Shoe.
12. She appeared in the Woody Allen film Hannah and her Sisters in 1986.
13. The book was semi-autobiographical in the sense that she fictionalized and satirized real-life events such as her drug addiction of the late 1970s and her relationship with her mother.
14. It became a bestseller, and she received the Los Angeles Pen Award for Best First Novel.
15. Also during 1987, she was in the Australian film The Time Guardian.