1. He is the winner of one Academy Award, having been nominated for four.
2. He has also won four Golden Globe Awards and nominated for ten.
3. He is the father of actress Angelina Jolie and actor James Haven.
4. Voight came to prominence in the late 1960s with his performance as a would-be gigolo in Midnight Cowboy .
5. During the 1970s, he became a Hollywood star with his portrayals of a businessman mixed up with murder in Deliverance .
6. Although his output slowed during the 1980s, Voight received critical acclaim for his performance as a ruthless bank robber in Runaway Train .
7. During the 1990s, he most notably starred as an unscrupulous showman attorney in The Rainmaker .
8. Voight gave critically acclaimed biographical performances during the 2000s, appearing as sportscaster Howard Cosell in Ali .
9. Voight was born on December 29, 1938, in Yonkers, New York, a professional golfer.
10. He has two brothers, Barry Voight , known as Chip Taylor, a singer-songwriter who wrote “Wild Thing” and “Angel of the Morning.”
11. Following his graduation in 1956, he enrolled at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., where he majored in art and graduated with a B.A. in 1960.
12. After graduation, Voight moved to New York City, where he pursued an acting career.
13. In 1962, Voight married actress Lauri Peters, whom he met when they both appeared in the original Broadway production of The Sound of Music.
14. Their children, James Haven , would go on to enter the film business, Haven as an actor and producer, and Jolie as a film star in her own right.
15. In 1969, Voight was cast in the groundbreaking Midnight Cowboy, a film that would make his career.