1. She starred on television as Ma Larkin in The Darling Buds of May, and as Laura Thyme in Rosemary & Thyme, and has played parts in family films based on works by British authors, such as Miss Trunchbull in Matilda and as Aunt Marge in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and most recently as Sister Evangelina in Call the Midwife.
2. Ferris was born in Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany, to Welsh parents, while her father was serving in the Royal Air Force.
3. Ferris spent her childhood in the Aberkenfig area, near Bridgend in Wales.
4. Ferris performed in her younger years at the Mercury Theatre in Auckland, and later with various regional companies in the UK.
5. Ferris played motherly Ma Larkin in the ITV series The Darling Buds of May, which ran from 1991 to 1993.
6. She appeared in The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends as Aunt Pettitoes in The Tale of Pigling Bland in 1995.
7. These include: Meantime, in which she played the Cockney mother of Phil Daniels and Tim Roth, Connie, Hardwicke House, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, Where the Heart Is and Paradise Heights.
8. From 2003 to 2006, she played the gardening sleuth, Laura Thyme, in Rosemary & Thyme.
9. Her roles in costume dramas include parts in television adaptations of Middlemarch, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Our Mutual Friend, The Turn of the Screw, Pollyanna and Jane Eyre.
10. Ferris portrayed the horrid school headmistress Miss Agatha Trunchbull in Matilda.
11. Her career in the theatre has included parts in Royal Court Theatre and National Theatre productions.
12. In 2007 Ferris took part in the BBC Wales programme Coming Home about her Welsh family history.
13. In 2008 she played Mrs General in an all-star cast BBC adaptation of the Charles Dickens novel Little Dorrit.
14. From 2009 to 2010, she appeared in the final series of the BBC comedy Gavin & Stacey as Cath Smith.
15. From 2012 to 2016 Ferris played the part of Sister Evangelina in the series Call the Midwife.