1. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in Hustle & Flow.
2. Howard played James Rhodes in Iron Man and reprised the role in the video game adaptation.
3. However, he was replaced by Don Cheadle for the future films.
4. He currently stars as the lead character Lucious Lyon in the television series Empire.
5. Howard first entered the entertainment world when he portrayed Jackie Jackson in The Jacksons: An American Dream, an ABC miniseries.
6. He continued being cast in television and movie roles and co-starred as Greg Sparks in the late-1990s television series Sparks, with James L. Avery, Sr. and Miguel A. Nunez Jr.
7. Howard has stated that he looks for characters that “teach him about himself” when choosing his film roles. Howard has also worked as a film producer, receiving such a credit for the film Pride.
8. Howard was the highest-paid cast member of the 2008 film Iron Man.
9. He did not appear in either of the follow-up sequels because it was reported that he would have had to take a 50 to 80 percent pay cut and was replaced by actor Don Cheadle.
10. Howard released his debut adult alternative album, Shine Through It, in 2008 on Columbia/SME Records.
11. He described the album as urban country and either wrote or co-wrote all the tracks on the album.
12. During rehearsals he allegedly attacked and seriously injured musical composer Tex Allen , who said he suffered multiple injuries as a result of being punched multiple times in the head and face.
13. In October 2008, Howard made a guest appearance in the short film For All Mankind directed by Daniel L. Clifton, filmed on location in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.
14. It was reported on July 30, 2010, that Howard had joined the cast of the new Law & Order: Los Angeles installment of the Law & Order franchise, where he played Deputy District Attorney Joe Dekker.
15. He alternated shows with Alfred Molina, who portrayed Deputy District Attorney Ricardo Morales. The series was cancelled after one season.