1. Ned Arnel Mencia is a Honduran-born American comedian, writer, and actor.
2. His style of comedy is often political and involves issues of race, culture, criminal justice, and social class.
3. He is best known as the host of the Comedy Central show Mind of Mencia which produced three seasons before being cancelled in 2008.
4. Mencía was born in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, the seventeenth of eighteen children.
5. By his own admission, staying out of trouble was difficult while growing up, but with the help of his family, he excelled in school and stayed out of gangs. He majored in electrical engineering at California State University, Los Angeles, but left early to pursue a career in comedy after a successful performance at an open mic night at The Laugh Factory.
6. He has an older brother named Joseph Mencia who often appeared on Mind of Mencia.
7. In 1988, Mitzi Shore, owner of The Comedy Store suggested that Mencia change his first name from “Ned” to “Carlos” in order to appeal to the Mexican audiences. Mencia performed at venerated LA stand-up venues such as The Comedy Store and The L.A. Cabaret.
8. His success in these venues led to appearances on The Arsenio Hall Show and Buscando Estrellas, where he attained the title “International Comedy Grand Champion.”
9. He would continue to do stand-up, including a very successful tour in 2001 with Freddy Soto and Pablo Francisco, “The Three Amigos.”
10. Mencia also did two half-hour specials on HBO, the second of which won him a CableACE Award for Best Stand-Up Comedy Special.
11. After the release of his first comedy album by Warner Records, Take A Joke America, Mencia performed his break-out performance on Comedy Central Presents in 2002.
12. By the time his career began to take off in the early 2000s, Mencia was also working as an actor doing guest appearances in the television shows Moesha and The Shield, and starring in the film Outta Time and the animated show The Proud Family.
13. Mencia is sometimes a guest on the Opie and Anthony radio show on XM Satellite Radio and CBS Radio.
14. Mencia starred in a Super Bowl XLI commercial for Bud Light.
15. In November 2009, Mencia began appearing commercials for a weight-loss product called Belly Burner, which he has claimed to have used personally.
16. Carlos Mencia went on a 2011 stand-up comedy tour, including dates at the Improv in Schaumburg, Illinois, on June 24 and 25, and ending in Las Vegas at Treasure Island on Friday, September 16, 2011.