1. A noted Shakespeare interpreter, he first achieved success onstage at the Royal National Theatre.
2. His performance as Count Almásy in The English Patient garnered him a second Academy Award nomination, for Best Actor, as well as BAFTA and Golden Globe nominations.
3. Since then, Fiennes has been in a number of notable films, including Strange Days .
4. He is also known for his roles in major film franchises such as the Harry Potter film series , in which he played Lord Voldemort, and the James Bond series, in which he has played M, starting with the 2012 film Skyfall.
5. Fiennes won a Tony Award for playing Prince Hamlet on Broadway.
6. He is the eldest child of Mark Fiennes and Brigadier Henry Alleyne Lash.
7. Fiennes is an eighth cousin of Charles, Prince of Wales, He is the eldest of six children.
8. His siblings are actor Joseph Fiennes; Martha Fiennes, a director ; Magnus Fiennes, a composer; Sophie Fiennes, a filmmaker; and Jacob Fiennes, a conservationist.
9. His nephew Hero Fiennes-Tiffin played Tom Riddle, young Lord Voldemort, in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
10. The Fiennes family moved to Ireland in 1973, living in West Cork and County Kilkenny for some years.
11. He went on to pursue painting at Chelsea College of Art before deciding that acting was his true passion.
12. Fiennes trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art between 1983 and 1985.
13. He had a major role in the controversial Peter Greenaway film The Baby of Mâcon with Julia Ormond, which was poorly received.
14. For this he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. He did not win the Oscar, but did win the Best Supporting Actor BAFTA Award for the role.
15. To look suitable to represent Goeth, Fiennes gained weight, but he managed to shed it afterwards.
16. Fiennes later stated that playing the role had a profoundly disturbing effect on him. In a subsequent interview, Fiennes recalled,