1. Gisele Caroline Bndchen is a Brazilian fashion model, actress, and producer.
2. She is the Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Environment Programme.
3. In the late 1990s, Bndchen was the first in a wave of Brazilian models to find international success. In 1999, Vogue noted “The Return of the Sexy Model”, and she was credited with ending the “heroin chic” era of modeling.
4. Bndchen was one of the Victoria’s Secret Angels from 2000 until mid-2007.
5. Bndchen pioneered the “horse walk”, a stomping movement created when a model picks her knees up high and kicks her feet out in front.
6. She played a supporting role in Taxi (2004), for which she was nominated at the Teen Choice Awards for Choice Movie Breakout Performance and for Choice Movie Bad Guy.
7. Bndchen also had a supporting role in The Devil Wears Prada (2006), and from 2010 to 2011 she was the executive producer of an educational environmental cartoon, Gisele & the Green Team.
8. Bndchen supports many charities including Save the Children, Red Cross and Doctors without Borders, as well as dedicating time to environmental causes.
9. Since 2004, she has been the highest-paid model in the world, and as of 2007 was the 16th richest woman in the entertainment industry.
10. From 2000 to 2005, Bndchen was in a relationship with American actor Leonardo DiCaprio. She married New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in 2009.
11. In 1993, Bndchen joined a modeling course with her sisters Patrcia and Gabriela at their mother’s insistence. The following year, Bndchen was discovered by the Elite modeling agency at a shopping mall in So Paulo while on a school excursion.
12. She was subsequently selected for a national contest, Elite Look of the Year, in which she placed second.
13. Bndchen placed fourth in the Elite Model Look world contest, held in Ibiza, Spain. At the age of 14, she then moved to So Paulo to launch her modeling career.
14. In 1996, Bndchen had her first New York City break at Fashion Week.
15. She got her big break when chosen for her ability to walk in towering heels on a slippery runway for Alexander McQueen’s spring 1998 “rain” ready-to-wear show.
16. Echoing similar accolades for Elle Macpherson a decade earlier, McQueen dubbed Bndchen “the Body”, immediately boosting her bookings. In 1998, she posed for Missoni, Chlo, Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino, Gianfranco Ferr, Ralph Lauren, and Versace campaigns.