1. He gained worldwide fame for his starring roles as Han Solo in the original Star Wars epic space opera trilogy and the title character of the Indiana Jones film series.
2. Ford is also known for his roles as Rick Deckard in the 1982 neo-noir dystopian science fiction film Blade Runner, John Book in the 1985 thriller Witness, and Jack Ryan in the 1992 action-suspense film Patriot Games and the 1994 spy action thriller film Clear and Present Danger.
3. Ford reprised his role as Han Solo in Star Wars: The Force Awakens .
4. His career has spanned six decades and includes roles in several Hollywood blockbusters; including the epic war film Apocalypse Now .
5. At one point, four of the top six box-office hits of all time included one of his roles. Seven of his films have been inducted into the National Film Registry: American Graffiti and Blade Runner.
6. Ford was born at the Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago, A younger brother, Terence, was born in 1945.
7. Ford was active in the Boy Scouts of America, and achieved its second-highest rank, Life Scout.
8. He worked at Napowan Adventure Base Scout camp as a counselor for the Reptile Study merit badge.
9. Because of this, he and director Steven Spielberg later decided to depict the young Indiana Jones as a Life Scout in the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
10. In 1960, Ford graduated from Maine East High School in Park Ridge, Illinois.
11. He attended Ripon College in Wisconsin, where he was a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity.
12. He took a drama class in the final quarter of his senior year to get over his shyness. became fascinated with acting.
13. In 1964, after a season of summer stock with the Belfry Players in Wisconsin, Ford traveled to Los Angeles, California to apply for a job in radio voice overs.
14. His first known part was an uncredited role as a bellhop in Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round .
15. Ford was at the bottom of the hiring list, having offended producer Jerry Tokovsky after he played a bellboy in the feature.
16. He was told by Tokovsky that when actor Tony Curtis delivered a bag of groceries, he did it like a movie star; Ford felt his job was to act like a bellboy. Ford managed to secure other roles in movies, such as A Time for Killing , starring Glenn Ford, George Hamilton and Inger Stevens.
17. His speaking roles continued next with Luv , though he was still uncredited.